Construction on the new energy-positive PK-12 school in Jones County began 7 months ago. The building is on schedule to be completed in the summer of 2019. Here is what you need to know about the current state of construction and the building itself.
- Boasts 125,000 square feet of state-of-the-art design
- Built on a 44-acre site (which includes the existing HS ball fields)
- Occupancy date is August of 2019
- Project is on schedule and is 35% complete.
- Wood beams (glued and laminated timber) and roof deck are in place on half of the building, and are now being placed on the gymnasium and over the front section of the building
- Brick work is continuing and is up to the roof on the gymnasium
- Concrete slabs poured for over 75% of the building
- Hollow Core concrete roof planks completely installed
- Plumbing and mechanical being installed in the elementary and middle school wings
- Electrical conduit pathways now being run throughout building
- Substantial amount of fill dirt added to the low and wet areas of the site
- Roof deck procurement took longer than anticipated, and while we are still on schedule overall, we are playing a bit of catch-up on its installation. Thankfully, this delay is minor and should not pose any major issues to the continuation of construction.
Who’s Doing What?
- Building Owner: Firstfloor Energy Positive
- Design-Builder: Metcon Construction
- Architect: SfL+a Architects
- Key Consultants: Optima Engineering, LHC Structural Engineers, Crawford Design, Foodesign, Brady
- Hollow Core Provider: Gate Precast
- Masonry Contractor: Monsees Masonry
- Steel Contractor: Steel & Pipe
- Roofing Contractor: AAR
- Pre-Manufactured Penthouse Provider: Brady/EAS
- Other Contributors: FayBlock, S&S Glazing, Old Castle Building Envelope, GAF TPO Roofing
We look forward to seeing another cutting-edge school delivered in 2019!